It's your activation date, the installation technician has come and gone, but to your dismay your Internet is still not working... what do you do now?
The following instructions will guide you through some quick steps that may help get you online. If these steps do not work or you desire assistance from a trained professional, please contact us at 1-877-779-1575.
Initial Troubleshooting Steps
- Check the cords coming out of the back of your SmartRG modem to ensure that they are undamaged and plugged into the correct ports:
- The Telephone cord should be plugged into the grey DSL port and should be less than 15 feet long.
- The Power cord should be plugged into the black Power port.
- Any non-wireless devices should each be plugged into a yellow LAN port.
The DSL light will not turn solid green:
The DSL light represents your modem's ability to synchronize with our hardware in the Central Office. If it is unable to turn solid green, there may be an issue preventing the physical signal from effectively reaching your modem.
- Recheck the phone cord that is connected to your modem. Make sure it isn't damaged, is as short as possible and is at MOST 15 feet long. Above all else, make sure that it is plugged into the telephone jack that the DSL technician setup during their installation visit. The other jacks in your home may not have DSL signal coming to them.
- If you happen to have another telephone cord, try using it. We do our best to verify that the cords we send out are good but the occasional faulty cord does slip through the cracks.
- If you're using a SmartRG 505N that you've had for a while and you have an alternate internet connection, you may want to check the firmware version of the modem and update it if necessary by following these instructions.
- To verify your modem is properly configured, you can use the instructions and configuration file found here for your SmartRG 505N (or the 505N manual setup walkthrough here if you don't have alternate internet access). We've made a set of instructions and configuration file for the SmartRG 515AC as well (and a 515AC manual setup walkthrough here).
- If the DSL light still will not turn solid green, please contact us for assistance.
The Internet light will not turn solid green:
The Internet light represents your modems ability to establish a PPPoE connection with our servers. This PPPoE connection allows you to log in and access the internet; without it you will not be able to get online.
- Open a web browser on a computer which is connected to your SmartRG modem and go to the address http://192.168.1.1/admin
- Enter admin for both the username and password.
- Click on the Basic Configuration link found in the top right corner.
- Check the PPP Username and PPP Password listed on this page. If they do not exactly match the credentials that we supplied you with, correct them.
- Click Apply/Save if you made any changes.
- Power cycle your modem (turn it off and then back on again).
- If the Internet light still will not turn solid green, please contact us for assistance.
The lights are both solid green but I still can't get online:
- Make sure that any non-wireless devices are plugged into the yellow Ethernet ports on the back of the SmartRG modem.
- If a device is wired to the modem, make sure that the LAN light which corresponds to the port that the device is plugged into is lit up. If it isn't, try a different port. If that doesn't work, try a different Ethernet cord. If that doesn't work, try plugging in a different device. If that doesn't work, contact us for assistance.
- Make sure that your wireless devices are connected to your wireless network. If you are unsure about your wireless network name or password and would like to customize them, check out our instructions for the SmartRG 505N or SmartRG 515AC.
- If you are still unable to get online, please contact us for assistance.